UCSB Answers

Our Best Answer - How do I take a Leave of Absence?

Leave of Absence

Graduate Students

Graduate students are the only students eligible for Leave of Absence; they must file this request with the Graduate Division. 

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students must cancel registration. Please consult with an academic adviser regarding your eligibility to take time off from your studies at UC Santa Barbara.  For more information on absence and withdrawal please visit the UC Santa Barbara General Catalog and the Office of the Registrar's website.

Did this answer your question?

How can we improve this answer?

Need further assistance? Email us at

The answers provided are generally applicable and not student specific. For individualized assistance, please email or contact the appropriate campus office.