UCSB Answers

Our Best Answer - Can I enroll part-time?

Part-Time Enrollment

Undergraduate Students

All undergraduate students are expected to enroll in a minimum of 12 units, and full-time status is required for such things as eligibility for residence in family/student housing, certain types of financial aid, and intercollegiate athletics. If you need to take fewer than 12 units due to outside commitments or personal considerations, you must petition to your college for a deficit course load prior to the first day of instruction. Contact your college advising office for more information. Students in the College of Letters and Science and the College of Creative Studies with on-going outside responsibilities may petition for permanent deficit approval.

College of Engineering

College of Letters and Sciences

College of Creative Studies

Deficit loads may impact your financial loan status as well as personal insurance coverage. It is strongly recommended to check with Financial Aid and/or your insurance company before carrying a deficit load.

Graduate Students

Continuous registration (Senate reg. 275A) is required of all graduate students. To achieve official registration status during the academic year (Fall, Winter, Spring Quarters), students must be registered, with fees paid, in a minimum of 8 units (although 12 units per academic quarter is expected).

Did this answer your question?

How can we improve this answer?

Need further assistance? Email us at

The answers provided are generally applicable and not student specific. For individualized assistance, please email or contact the appropriate campus office.