UCSB Answers

Our Best Answer - How do I establish residency for the purpose of tuition and fees?

Establishing Residency

The University of California is a public university, and charges different tuition for in-state and out-of-state students.

This means that UC has to decide which level of tuition will be charged for each student. For many students — both in-state and out-of-state — this is simple. But for some students with more complex circumstances, this decision process can be more confusing. This site aims to clarify the UC Residence Policy and Guidelines and provide context and guidance about the process.

Information in regards to establishing residency for the purpose of tuition and fees can be found on the UCOP website.


Did this answer your question?

How can we improve this answer?

Need further assistance? Email us at

The answers provided are generally applicable and not student specific. For individualized assistance, please email or contact the appropriate campus office.