UCSB Answers

Our Best Answer - How do I declare or change my major or minor?

Declaring or Changing a Major or Minor

Newly-admitted students (prior to start of first quarter at UC Santa Barbara): Please visit the Office of Admissions Major Changes page for instructions.

Undergraduate students: To change your major (or add/drop a double major), please use the Change of Major Petition available from the Office of the Registrar’s website and follow the instructions on the form.  To declare or change a minor, please contact the minor department.  For any questions regarding advising, please contact your College office.

If you are changing from one college to another, you will need to secure signatures from the chair of the department(s) that sponosor your proposed new major(s) and the dean of your college(s). More information on changing or declaring a major can be found on the College of Letters & Science website.

Graduate students: Please contact the Graduate Division

Did this answer your question?

How can we improve this answer?

Need further assistance? Email us at

The answers provided are generally applicable and not student specific. For individualized assistance, please email or contact the appropriate campus office.