UCSB Answers

Our Best Answer - How does my tuition affect my personal income tax?

Tuition & Personal Income Tax

Some of your education expenses may allow you to be eligible for the Hope and Lifetime Learning education tax credits.  Each year, UC Santa Barbara will create a tax-related document called the 1098-T for every student. 

More tax information can be found on BARC's Tax Information page. You can get a copy of your 1098-T on the Tax Credit Reporting Service (TCRS) student site

If you are looking for UCSB’s Federal Tax Identification Number click here.

Did this answer your question?

How can we improve this answer?

Need further assistance? Email us at

The answers provided are generally applicable and not student specific. For individualized assistance, please email or contact the appropriate campus office.