UCSB Answers

Our Best Answer - Can I defer my admission?

Deferring Admission

Students who wish to defer their admission to an alternate quarter should submit the form on the Office of Admissions Contact Us page. Students should select the "Request Admissions Deferral" option in the "category" drop-down menu and use the dialog box to explain their circumstances.  

The Office of Admissions will consider requests to defer admission to a later term for students with extraordinary circumstances. 

The University typically defers admission for one quarter only. Students who desire a full year deferral ("gap year") must reapply for admission for the term in which they wish to attend.

Did this answer your question?

How can we improve this answer?

Need further assistance? Email us at

The answers provided are generally applicable and not student specific. For individualized assistance, please email or contact the appropriate campus office.